January 21, 2004
FINAL ACTION MINUTES
LANDMARKS PRESERVATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
1 DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE, ROOM 400
JANUARY 21, 2004
12:34 P.M. ROLL CALL
FOR FULL BOARD CONSIDERATION
MEMBERS PRESENT: DEARMAN, FINWALL, KELLEY, SAMUELS, SHATARA
MEMBER(S) ABSENT: CHERNY, HO-BELLI and KOTAS
Patricia Vaughey re: Request the Landmarks Board look
into 2717 Baker Street
1. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
It was moved by Member Dearman (seconded by Samuels)
to nominate Tim Kelley as President. The vote was unanimous (Dearman, Finwall,
Kelley, Samuels, Shatara and Skrondal) (Absent: Cherny, Ho-Belli and Kotas).
It was moved by Member Samuels (seconded by Dearman)
to nominate Elizabeth Skrondal as Vice President. The vote was unanimous (Dearman,
Finwall, Kelley, Samuels, Shatara and Skrondal) (Absent: Cherny, Ho-Belli
2. STAFF REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Adam Light, Planner
Wished all a happy and healthy new year.
The Presidio and Sunset Carnegie Branch Libraries
and the Names Project landmark designations were before the Planning Commission
on January 15, 2004. The designations will now be sent to the Board of Supervisors
3. PRESIDENT'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- There will be a plaque placed on the Names Project
building at 2362 Market Street.
4. MATTERS OF THE BOARD
- Requested a future informational presentation on
the Church Street Substation.
Tape No(s).: 1a
REGULAR CALENDAR ITEMS
1148 OAK STREET, Fire Station No. 21, between Divisadero
and Broderick Streets. Assessor's Block 1215, Lot 10.
Fire Station No. 21, was constructed in 1893 and originally housed Engine
Company No. 2 and Truck Company No. 6. It is a two-story wood frame building
with hose tower, Stick-Eastlake in style with Italianate overtones in the
detailing. An application for Certificate of Appropriateness, Case No. 2002.0093A,
was considered by the Landmarks Board at the April 17, 2002 hearing. The subject
property is San Francisco Landmark No. 89, is listed in the Here Today survey,
is in the City's 1976 Architectural Survey, is zoned NC-2 (Neighborhood Commercial,
Small Scale) District and is in a 40-X Height and Bulk District. An informational
presentation by the Bureau of Architecture on the status of the project.
Speaker(s): Bob Volon, Cynthia Marcucci, Winston
Montgomery, Michael Smithwick, Richard Kay, Richard Zillman, Larry Roberts,
Mark Dorian, Captain James Lee, Roger Wong, Danita Kulp, Patricia Vaughey
- After hearing public testimony, thanked DPW for
the informational presentation. Requested another informational presentation
within 60-90 days for a status report.
Tape No(s).: 1b
212 UNION STREET, north side of the street between
Montgomery and Sansome Streets. Assessor's Block 106, Lots 66 and 67.
The subject property is a contributory building within the Telegraph Hill
Historic District, is zoned RH-3 (Residential, House, Three-Family) District,
and is in a 40-X Height and Bulk District. Request for a new Certificate of
Appropriateness to modify a previously approved alteration (Application 1998.0258A)
to alter the facade of a two-story-over-basement wood-frame residential cottage
building, built in 1880, and build an underground horizontal addition connecting
to an above-ground garage and studio addition . The new application changes
some of the previously-proposed facade alterations on the historic portion
of the building as well as some ground improvements, including a view terrace,
garden shed, and gazebo.
Speaker(s): Rod Freebairn-Smith
Action: It was moved by Member Dearman (seconded by
Samuels) to recommend approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness with
conditions based on Staff Findings. The vote was unanimous.
Ayes: Dearman, Finwall, Kelley, Samuels, Shatara and
Absent: Cherny, Ho-Belli and Kotas
Tape No(s).: 1a & b
735 MARKET STREET, between
3rd and 4th Streets. Assessor's Block 3706, Lot 61.
The subject six-story commercial building was designed by turn-of-the century
San Francisco architect, Willis Polk and constructed in 1908. The property
is zoned C-3-R (Downtown Retail) District and is in a 120-X Height and Bulk
District. The State Historic Preservation Office is seeking the Landmarks
Preservation Advisory Board's comments on a proposed nomination to the National
Register of Historic Places as part of San Francisco's role as a Certified
Item was not heard due to the Landmarks Board losing
3301 LYON STREET, Palace of Fine Arts, between
Bay and Jefferson Streets. Assessor's Block 916, Lot 2. The Palace of Fine
Arts was originally built in 1915 and reconstructed in permanent materials
in 1964, to the design of Bernard Maybeck. The property is zoned P (Public
Use) District and is in an OS (Open Space) Height and Bulk District. The State
Historic Preservation Office is seeking the Landmarks Preservation Advisory
Board's comments on a proposed nomination to the National Register of Historic
Places as part of San Francisco's role as a Certified Local Government.
Speaker(s): Bill Marquan
Item had to be rescheduled to February 4, 2004, to
the Landmarks Board losing its quorum.
Tape No(s).: 1b & 2a
ADJOURNMENT: 3:28 P.M.
PUBLIC COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE
ROLL CALL: Chair: Jeremy Kotas
Ex-Officio: Tim Kelley
Committee Members: Ina Dearman, Paul Finwall, Elizabeth
CHAIR'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Adopted: May 5, 2005
N:\LPAB\MINUTES\JANUARY 21 2004 FIN.MIN