Find My Zoning
Knowing the zoning of a property will clarify what's allowed and what specific limits may apply to a residential or commercial project
Find zoning information on the San Francisco Property Information Map (PIM)
- Once on PIM, enter an address or Assessor's Lot and Block number and click on Search
- Once the results appear, click the Zoning tab at the top of the results window (to the right of the map window)
- Click on the Printable Version of Report link to create a printed copy
Zoning regulations govern how land can be used in various areas of San Francisco called "zoning use districts" (also known as "zoning," "zones" or "use districts").
For example, zoning regulations might:
- govern sizes and shapes of buildings
- limit the number of units or apartments that can exists on a property
- require the accommodation of car parking off of the street
- set controls on planting street trees under certain circumstances
- specify how late a business can remain open at night
For each type of use, the Code determines it's either: Permitted (P), Conditional (C), or Not Permitted (NP). These types of use specify what is allowed and what limits may apply to a project.
Other Zoning Resources
Once you know the zoning use district of the property, reference our useful Permit How-To Guides that summarize regulations and Code control for many types of residential and commercial projects.