Adult-Use (Recreational) Cannabis and Medical Cannabis Dispensaries (MCD)
For information on obtaining an Adult-Use (Recreational) Cannabis permit, please visit the Office of Cannabis website at officeofcannabis.sfgov.org.
How to Apply for and Obtain an MCD Permit
- Review the application and review process and requirements for a Medical Cannabis Dispensary (MCD) under the Planning Code and Article 16 of the San Francisco Police Code.
- Once a potential site has been chosen, request a site specific map from a private mapping company (see below). The map should identify the subject property, a 600 foot radius surrounding the property, and all known schools located within that radius. NOTE: MCDs and Adult-Use Cannabis establishments are not allowed within a 600 foot radius of a public or private elementary or secondary school.
- If unsure as to whether a use within the 600 foot radius will cause rejection of the application, it is suggested that you request a Letter of Determination (LOD) from the Planning Department to seek clarity regarding the use in question and its implication for the MCD application.
- Once determined that the site is suitable for a new MCD, schedule a meeting to apply with the Office of Cannabis at 1390 Market St, Ste. 210 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the Department of Building Department Inspection (DBI) located at 1660 Mission Street in San Francisco to submit a building permit to establish an MCD at your proposed location. Include the Planning Department MCD application as part of the building permit application. DBI will route this application to the Planning Department.
- The application will be assigned to Planning Department staff for review and to schedule it to appear before the Planning Commission at a public hearing for approval or disapproval.
- Once plans are approved, the applicant will receive a notice from SFDPH regarding their upcoming hearing.
- Upon approval, a permit to operate is issued.
How to Apply for and Obtain a Cannabis Retail Permit
- Contact the Office of Cannabis to determine eligibility.
- Once the Office of Cannabis has determined you are eligible, consult our PDF Map and interactive map showing areas of San Francisco where Cannabis Retail may be permitted. You may also request a site specific map from a private mapping company (see below). Please note that adult-use Cannabis establishments are not allowed within a 600 foot radius of a public or private elementary or secondary school. In addition, you should also be aware as part of the CU hearing that the Planning Commission will look at any increase in youth access and exposure to cannabis at nearby facilities that primarily serve youth, and any proposed measures you plan on implementing to counterbalance any such increase.
- For principally permitted adult-use, visit the Department of Building Department Inspection (DBI) located at 1660 Mission Street in San Francisco to submit a building permit application for your proposed location. DBI will route this application to the Planning Department.
- If it is not principally permitted, new adult-use cannabis establishments will require a Conditional Use application and Planning Commission hearing prior to filing a building permit application.
- The application will be assigned to Planning Department staff for review. In cases where a Conditional Use applies, staff will schedule a hearing before the Planning Commission for approval or disapproval.
*This listing does not constitute an endorsement. Other professionals can also perform this work and can be added to this list upon request.
3515 Santiago Street
San Francisco, CA 94116
3288 - 21st Street #49
Jerry Brown Designs
619 - 27th Street, Apt. A
1221 Harrison Street #18
Ted Madison Drafting
P.O. Box 8102