To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body
  • go to google translator
  • contact us
June 16, 2004

FINAL ACTION MINUTES
OF THE
SAN FRANCISCO
LANDMARKS PRESERVATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING

CITY HALL

1 DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE, ROOM 400

JUNE 16, 2004

12:38 P.M. ROLL CALL

FOR FULL BOARD CONSIDERATION

MEMBERS PRESENT: CHERNY, FINWALL, KELLEY, MALEY, SAMUELS and SKRONDAL

MEMBER(S) ABSENT: DEARMAN, KOTAS and SHATARA

PUBLIC COMMENT

Hendrik Bakker re: 1923 Webster Street

REPORTS

1. STAFF REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Neil Hart,

Preservation

Coordinator:

  • Announced newest landmark designations of the Presidio and Sunset Branch Libraries were heard at the Board of Supervisors last week. The Mission Branch Library, Laguna Honda MUNI Station and MUNI Car No. 1 are still outstanding past landmark designation referrals at the Board o f Supervisors. The Richmond Branch Library and the Conservatory of Music are pending landmark designation referrals to be sent to the Board of Supervisors. 150 Otis Street is pending landmark designation at the Planning Commission.

  • Responded to a member of the public regarding 1923 Webster Street.

  • The Certificate of Appropriateness for 714 26th Street - window replacement, front windows wood - the project sponsor wanted vinyl, appealed the issuance of the permit to the Board of Appeals. The Board of Appeals upheld the Landmarks Board 3 to 1 (4 votes needed to overturn - 1 member of the Board of Appeals was absent). Project sponsor will request a rehearing and hope to obtain the 4th vote to overturn the Landmarks Board recommendation.

  • Regarding 938-4 Market Street - at the Planning Commission, Staff report a one-story penthouse that would be non-contributory to the Garfield Building. At the urging of the project sponsor's attorney, Mary Murphy, description was changed to include the one-story penthouse. The Planning Commission concurred. As with 690 Market Street, the limits of the landmark will be decided by the Board of Supervisors.

  • Guy Washington from the Park Service sent each of the Board Members a pin commemorating the national Underground Railroad, Network to Freedom.

  • The Department's Budget will be heard on Wednesday, July 23, 2004.

2. PRESIDENT'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Tim Kelley:

  • Following the last hearing, he was in contact with Rhoda Parhams, Director of the Physical Plan for the School District, regarding future relationship between the Landmarks Board and the School District over historic resources. They agreed to establish a joint working group to examine the situation and to work towards having an inventory done of school properties. They will meet to set the structure for the group.

3. MATTERS OF THE BOARD

Paul Finwall:

  • Parkside School.

Tape No(s).: 1a

REGULAR CALENDAR ITEMS

Informational Presentation

4. (JUDI MOSQUEDA, DPW: 558-4039)

UNITED NATIONS PLAZA. An informational presentation on the renovation of the United Nations Plaza in the Civic Center Historic District. After a lengthy and continuous three-year planning effort involving the local community neighborhood, and political groups, the Department of Public Works (DPW) is moving forward with plans to enhance the plaza site. While retaining the spirit of the original design, the DPW intends to increase public safety, encourage plaza usage, and create a more pleasant and welcome urban environment for visiting tourists, neighborhood residents, transit patrons, and pedestrians.

Speaker(s): Judi Mosqueda

Michael Levin

Terry Milne

Carolyn Diamond

Board

Comments:

  • Thanked DPW Staff for the informational presentation and asked to continue to be included in the process.

ACTION ITEMS

5. APPROVAL OF THE MARCH 17, 2004 DRAFT ACTION MINUTES

Continued - no quorum.

6. (T. KELLEY)

Consideration of sending a letter to the Board of Supervisors' Budget Committee concerning the situation with the Old Firehouse, 1152 Oak Street, Landmark No. 89.

Speaker(s): None

Board

Comments:

  • It was suggested that the Landmarks Board remind the Board of Supervisors that the building is a landmark and suggests how it should be maintained.

  • Board Member Maley will write a letter to bring back to the Landmarks Board for approval.

Tape No(s).: 1a & b

Certificate(s) of Appropriateness

7. 2004.0465A (M. SNYDER: 415/575-6891)

714 22nd STREET, north side between Tennessee and Third Streets. Assessor's Block 4108, Lot 5 - Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to replace the front garage door, the existing front railing, replace a front entry gate with a paneled front door, and make other improvements to the front façade. This contributory structure to the Dogpatch Historic District also has a National Register Status Code of 5N. The subject, three-family dwelling was constructed in 1882, in the flat front Italianate style, has since undergone extensive modifications including the addition of the front bay and the removal of most of the front façade's original material and detailing. It is within an NC-2 (Neighborhood Commercial, Small Scale) District and a 50-X Height and Bulk District.

Preliminary Recommendation: Approval

Speaker(s): Marvin Lau

Action: It was moved by Member Finwall (seconded by Samuels) to recommend approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness subject to changing the garage door. Project sponsor will work with Staff. The vote was unanimous.

Ayes: Cherny, Finwall, Kelley, Maley, Samuels and Skrondal

Noes: None

Absent: Dearman, Kotas and Shatara

Tape No(s).: 1b

8. 2004.0465A (M. SNYDER: 415/575-6891)

51 FEDERAL STREET, south side between 1st Street and 2nd Street, The Rincon Warehouse No. 2, Block 3774 Lot 13 - Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to remove an existing awning, install a new awning along with exterior lighting sconces, and a secondary identifying sign. Constructed in 1923, this four-story reinforced concrete building was originally used for public storage and is currently used for offices. The building was altered after 1950, with a fourth-story addition. The building is contributory-altered to the South End Historic District and has a National Register Status Code of 6Y2. The property is within an SSO (Service / Secondary Office) District and a 50-X Height and Bulk District.

Preliminary Recommendation: Approval

Speaker(s): None

Action: It was moved by Vice President Skrondal (seconded by Maley) to recommend approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness based on Staff Findings. The vote was unanimous.

Ayes: Cherny, Finwall, Kelley, Maley, Samuels and Skrondal

Noes: None

Absent: Dearman, Kotas and Shatara

Tape No(s).: 1b

Landmark Designation(s)

9. 2004.0584L (A. LIGHT: 415/558-6254)

690 MARKET STREET, The Old Chronicle Building, northeast corner of intersection with Kearny Street. Assessor's Block 311, Lot 6. Request by Project Sponsor for Landmarks Board review and approval of revisions to the Old Chronicle Building Landmark Designation Report as required by Condition of Approval No. 1 under the Landmarks Board's Landmark Designation Resolution No. 570 and the Planning Commission's Landmark Designation Resolution No. 16751. The subject property has been conditionally designated by the Board of Supervisors as San Francisco Landmark No. 243. The property is located in a C-3-O (Downtown, Office) Zoning District, the Downtown Housing Demonstration Special Use District, and a 285-S Height and Bulk District. (Note: The landmark designation was approved on February 18, 2004, as required by Condition of Approval No. 1.)

Preliminary Recommendation: Staff recommends that the Landmarks Board review the proposed revisions to the Old Chronicle Building Landmark Designation Report to determine whether or not said revisions are sufficient such that the Designation Report now constitutes a Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board Final Landmark Designation Report for the subject property.

Continued to July 7, 2004.

ADJOURNMENT: 2:05 P.M.

PUBLIC COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE

ROLL CALL: Chair: Jeremy Kotas

Ex-Officio: Tim Kelley

Committee Members: Ina Dearman, Paul Finwall, Elizabeth Skrondal

REPORT

CHAIR'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

None.

PUBLIC COMMENT

None.

ADJOURNMENT:

Adopted: July 21, 2004

N:\LPAB\MINUTES\JUNE 16 2004 FIN.MIN

Last updated: 11/17/2009 9:59:40 PM