November 19, 2003
FINAL ACTION MINUTES
LANDMARKS PRESERVATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
1 DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE, ROOM 400
NOVEMBER 19, 2003
12:38 P.M. ROLL CALL
ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW COMMITTEE
MEMBERS PRESENT: FINWALL, KELLEY and SHATARA
MEMBER(S) ABSENT: KOTAS and SAMUELS
1. 2003.0820A (M. LUELLEN: 415/558-6478)
802 DAVIS STREET, Embarcadero Hotel located within the Northeast Waterfront Historic District, north side of Broadway between Davis and The Embarcadero. Assessors Block 139, Lot 2. The subject property is zoned C-2 (Community Business) and is in a 40-X Height and Bulk District. Request for Architectural Review Committee review and comment on a proposal to construct a mid-rise hotel building that will contain 255 rooms. The project would involve four parcels and would include the construction of waterfront park, auto court (Assessors Block 140, Lot 8) and four level parking garage (Assessor's Block 140, Lot 8) that would contain 360-380 stalls.
ARC comments and recommendations:
Speaker(s): Mark Hornberger
- The proposed brick material presented on the pages 16 and 28 of the November 5, 2003 drawing packet illustrates deeply score brick. This type of treatment is not found in the district.
- The use of the perforated metal on the garage building should be carefully considered for desired effect before it installed on the garage.
- The overall composition and details of the hotel is too complicated in comparison to the simple monolithic building of the district.
- The hotel's corner architectural feature at Broadway and Embarcadero is week.
- The district is composed of continuous façade lines. The proposed façade design hotel feels more like two or three buildings.
- The hotel's "tartan" grid windows did not reflect the district's use of limited fenestration and the high proportion of mass to void. The hotel design should reflect the strong pilasters and cornice lines of the district's existing buildings. The wider windows should be divided up more and the punched openings should have a greater depth.
- An alternative treatment to the white Teflon coated fabric on the roof of the garage building is encouraged.
- Expressed concern about the street closures.
- The proposed hotel will dwarf the Embarcadero's bulkheads.
- Expressed concern about the number of street trees that are proposed and their effect on industrial context of the district. The maintenance of all of the landscaping was a concern.
- Expressed concern about the care, maintenance, and effectiveness of the bamboo in the garage structure.
- The garage should be appropriately lit at night as to not visually intrude on the historic district.
Tape No(s).: 1a & b
FOR FULL BOARD CONSIDERATION
THE FULL BOARD DID NOT CONVENE, DUE TO A LACK OF QUORUM
PUBLIC COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE
ROLL CALL: Chair: Jeremy Kotas
Ex-Officio: Tim Kelley
CHAIR'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Adopted: December 17, 2003
N:\LPAB\MINUTES\ NOVEMBER 19 2003 FIN.MIN