June 04, 2003
FINAL ACTION MINUTES
LANDMARKS PRESERVATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
1 DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE, ROOM 400
JUNE 4, 2003
12:33 P.M. ROLL CALL
FOR FULL BOARD CONSIDERATION
MEMBERS PRESENT: FINWALL, HO-BELLI, KELLEY, SAMUELS and SKRONDAL
MEMBER(S) ABSENT: CHERNY, DEARMAN, KOTAS and SHATARA
Charles Chase re: Cable boxes being mounted on historic resources.
1. STAFF REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Tape No(s).: 1a
REGULAR CALENDAR ITEMS
Informational Presentation / Review and Comment
Certificate(s) of Appropriateness
140 MAIDEN LANE, V.C. Morris Building, is on the north side of Maiden Lane between Stockton Street and Grant Avenue. Assessor's Block 309, Lot 19. The subject property is a brick clad, two-story; commercial building that was constructed ca. 1911 and altered by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1948-1949. The building is Landmark No. 72. It is zoned C-3-R (Downtown Retail) District and in an 80-130-F Height and Bulk District. Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to legalize the installation of a security gate at the entrance, store signage and an push plate for disabled access. (Note: Item continued from the May 21, 2003 Landmarks Board hearing.)
Preliminary Recommendation: Approval with conditions
Speaker(s): Martha Vargas
Action: It was moved by Member Finwall (seconded by Samuels) to recommend approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness based on Staff Findings and conditions, as follows:
- The existing security gate be removed, the wall penetrations appropriately repaired, and if the gate is replaced it should be with one that is not so visible from the street. The gate could be designed so that it is removed and stored out of sight during business hours.
- The existing projecting sign be removed and the penetrations appropriately repaired. The new sign should be smaller in scale, not project so far from the building, and be placed closer to the street level near the east property line. The new sign should be installed with minimal penetrations into the brick.
- An alternative material and location for the push plate should be explored. Additionally, means of illuminating the existing push plate should also be explored.
- The design of the new security gate and projecting sign should be reviewed by the Landmarks Board to assure that it complies with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards.
The vote was unanimous.
Ayes: Finwall, Ho-Belli, Kelley, Samuels and Skrondal
Absent: Cherny, Dearman, Kotas and Shatara
Tape No(s).: 1a & b
ADJOURNMENT: 2:10 P.M.
PUBLIC COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE
ROLL CALL: Chair: Jeremy Kotas
Ex-Officio: Tim Kelley
CHAIR'S REPORT AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Adopted: August 22, 2003
N:\LPAB\MINUTES\ JUNE 04 2003 FIN.MIN