March 9, 2007 Special Meeting
Special Meeting Minutes
City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
Friday, March 9, 2007
COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: OLAGUE, ANTONINI, MOORE, and W. LEE
COMMISSIONER ABSENT: ALEXANDER, S. LEE, and SUGAYA
THE MEETING WAS CALLED TO ORDER BY VICE PRESIDENT OLAGUE AT 8:32 A.M.
STAFF IN ATTENDANCE: Linda Avery – Commission Secretary and Kate Stacy – Deputy City Attorney
A. EXECUTIVE SESSION
PLANNING DIRECTOR SEARCH - The Planning Commission will meet in closed session pursuant to San Francisco Administrative Code Section 67.10(b) and Government Code Section 54957(b)(1) to consider candidates for the position of Director of Planning.
SPEAKERS during the public comment period prior to going into closed session:
Lois Scott – President of Local 21
- In 2004, the Planners Chapter of Local 21 did some background work on the Planning Director search.
- At that time, we identified key management and visionary qualities we, as your staff, would like to see in a Director.
- We tried to communicate them to the Mayor and his staff, who at that point seemed to be leading the process.
- We recommended that the job description be updated. It didn't happen.
- We also requested that there be a means for us to participate in the selection process.
- We want to renew that request with some specific ideas:: (1) to the extent there will be any written responses we would like to be able to advise you on our ranking; (2) we would like input on scenarios to be posed in the interviews; and (3) we would like an opportunity to meet with you in a workshop or closed session with time to further articulate our views on characteristics needed in a new director
Charles Marsteller – Common Cause
- Recommends that the Commission meet and confer with the rank and file of the department regarding their perspectives and concerns for the criteria for the selection of a new Director of the Planning Department.
- By meeting with your senior staff and your labor representatives, you will send a powerful signal that the commission cares about your staff morale, which has suffered in the past ten years.
At the conclusion of the closed session, and pursuant to Section 67.10(b) of the San Francisco Administrative Code, the Commission will reconvene in open session and shall by motion and vote elect to:
- Disclose no information, or
- Disclose information that a majority deems to be in the public interest.
Following is the action taken by the Commission during the public period of the meeting following closed session:
ACTION: Disclose no information
AYES: Alexander, S. Lee, Moore, and Olague
ABSENT: Antonini, W. Lee, and Sugaya
Adjournment: 12:30 p.m.
THESE MINUTES WERE PROPOSED FOR ADOPTION AT THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION ON THURSDAY, MARCH 22, 2007.
AYES: Antonini, S. Lee, W. Lee, Moore, Olague, and Sugaya
NOTE: Per Section 67.18 of the Administrative Code for the City and County of San Francisco, Commission minutes contain a description of the item before the Commission for discussion/consideration; a list of the public speakers with names if given, and a summary of their comments including an indication of whether they are in favor of or against the matter; and any action the Commission takes. The minutes are not the official record of a Commission hearing. The audiotape is the official record. Copies of the audiotape may be obtained by calling the Commission office at (415) 558-6415. For those with access to a computer and/or the Internet, Commission hearings are available at www.sfgov.org. Under the heading Explore, the category Government, and the City Resources section, click on SFGTV, then Video on Demand. You may select the hearing date you want and the item of your choice for a replay of the hearing.