1218-1226 LEAVENWORTH STREET - east side between Sacramento and Clay Streets, Lot 023A in Assessor's Block 0220 - Request for Conditional Use Authorization, for height in excess of 40 feet in an "R" District (48.5 feet proposed) in conjunction with the addition of a new floor (containing two dwelling units) to an existing three-story-over-basement residential building (resulting in seven units). A request for a Variance from rear yard requirements will be heard concurrently by the Zoning Administrator. The site is located in an RM-3 (Mixed Residential, Medium Density) District, and a 65-A Height and Bulk District.
Preliminary Recommendation: Approval with conditions
(+) John Sanger - Sanger and Olson
- He submitted letters from neighbors who are in support of the project, maps, photomontages, etc.
- He displayed a site map showing the relation with the neighbors who have rear yards. Even with the addition of the building it will not create shadows.
- The project sponsor is willing to remove the stair penthouse and in lieu, extend the extension of the rear yard stair to the roof, if the Zoning Administrator approves this.
(-) Ray Shiek
- He has provided a letter to the Commission regarding the height and bulk of the proposed project.
- For consideration is maintaining the character of the overall building mass from the rear view of the properties.
- They are requesting that because of the Variance, there should be a limitation on the building height.
- They are not saying that they don't want the 4th floor, but there should be some limitations on the back stair.
(-) John Shiu
- They had some concerns about how this building will change the character of the neighborhood.
- The neighborhood is on a slope.
- Most all of the buildings in the area are two to three floors.
- They are concerned about the precedent this project will create.
- They have suggested many recommendations to the project sponsor that are still within the Planning Code, but the overall concern is the character of the neighborhood.
(-) Elizabeth Kronig
- There is a level of concern by the neighbors.
- The back side is the only area that is open. She will get an impact on light and air with this building.
(+) Kyle Holeman
- They purchased the building knowing that there was a 65 foot limit.
- He lives in the back unit with his wife.
- He hopes to add units to the building.
- He hopes there is neighborhood consent on this project because he and his wife will be living there.
(-) Garth McNab
- He lives on Clay Street around the corner from the subject project.
- His number one concern is that should the property be altered, this should not be precedent for other properties that will want to add floors in the future.
- If this does, the quality of the neighborhood will then be changed.
- He is also concerned about the parking in the neighborhood.
- This area is very difficult to find parking because many properties do not have garages.
- Parking should be allowed in the building.
ACTION: Approved as Modified: parking spaces: 6 with up to 8 (2 of which are tandem)
AYES: Antonini, Hughes, S. Lee, W. Lee, Olague
ABSENT: Alexander and Bradford Bell