June 26, 2003 (Special Joint Meeting)
RECREATION AND PARK COMMISSION
Commission Chambers - Room 400
City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
Thursday, June 26, 2003
Special Joint Meeting
PLANNING COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Michael J. Antonini, Rev. Edgar E. Boyd; Kevin Hughes; Sue Lee
RECREATION & PARK COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Bill Getty, Gloria Bonilla; Jim Lazarus, Rebecca Prozan
THE MEETING WAS CALLED TO ORDER BY VICE PRESIDENT GETTY AT 1:55 p.m.
PLANNING COMMISSION STAFF IN ATTENDANCE: Gerald Green - Director; Larry Badiner -Zoning Administrator; Judy Boyajian, Deputy City Attorney; Stephen Shotland, Nora Priego - Transcription Secretary; Linda Avery - Commission Secretary
PARK & REC COMMISSON STAFF IN ATTENDANCE: Elizabeth Goldstein - Executive Director, Gary Hoy
A. SPECIAL CALENDAR
CONSIDER ALLOCATION OF FUNDS FROM THE DOWNTOWN PARK SPECIAL FUND - Discussion and possible action to approve an allocation of funds from the Downtown Park Special Fund for development of Union Square and Ferry Park as permitted by Section 139(f) of the Planning Code.
Preliminary Recommendation: Approval
(+) Ernestine Weiss
- She urges both Commissions to approve the allocation of funds to improve Ferry Park.
- She worked very hard with the community to build a legal park but it is now in disrepair.
- These funds are really important.
(+) Steven Currier
- These moneys should be released for the Embarcadero area.
- Rec and Park has been really good in the outer Mission area. It is important to support what San Francisco has to offer.
(+) Sue Hestor
- She displayed a map of downtown.
- Obtaining this money is a "one shot deal" for two years.
- The City and Rec Park has abandoned their responsibility to do a South of Market open space.
PARK & REC AYES: Bill Getty, Gloria Bonilla; Jim Lazarus, Rebecca Prozan
ABSENT: Larry Martin, Gordon Chin, John Murray
PLANNING COMMISSION AYES: Michael J. Antonini, Rev. Edgar E. Boyd; Kevin Hughes; Sue Lee
ABSENT: Bradford Bell, Feldstein, W. Lee
RESOLUTION NO. 16602
B. PUBLIC COMMENT
At this time, members of the public may address the Joint Commission on items of interest to the public that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of these Commissions except agenda items. With respect to agenda items, your opportunity to address these Commissions will be afforded when the item is reached in the meeting with one exception. When the agenda item has already been reviewed in a public hearing at which members of the public were allowed to testify and the Commission has closed the public hearing, your opportunity to address the Commission must be exercised during the Public Comment portion of the Calendar. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes.
- She hopes that these funds will be allocated as soon as possible.
- She thanked Ms. Goldstein and her staff. They deserve a standing ovation.
Adjournment: 2:45 p.m.
THESE MINUTES ARE PROPOSED FOR ADOPTION AT THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2003.
AYES: Antonini, Boyd, Hughes, and S. Lee
EXCUSED: Bradford Bell, and Feldstein
ABSENT: W. Lee